Chief of Staff
Company: Banfield, The Pet Hospital
Posted on: November 13, 2023
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTIONThe primary purpose and
function of the Chief of Staff is to manage the hospital and ensure
the highest quality of veterinary care, exceptional client service,
associate engagement and maximum productivity of the veterinary
medical team. This position advocates for pets and their quality of
life; builds a long term bonding relationship with clients;
contributes to the development and maintenance of the human-pet
bond; educates clients and hospital associates on all aspects of
pet health. The Chief of Staff partners with the Practice Manager
(if applicable) to operate an effective and productive veterinary
medical team, ensure a safe and engaging hospital environment, and
improve both the medical quality and business performance of the
hospital.ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKSThe ratio of time
spent on leadership duties and practicing veterinarian
responsibilities will vary depending on the hospital situation; the
Chief of Staff must use good judgment in prioritizing their duties
on any given day, ensuring hospital productivity. - On average, the
ratio is expected to be about 20%-30% leadership duties and 70%-80%
veterinarian duties.Leadership Responsibilities (approximately
20-30% of time):
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within
self and team.
- Partner with the Practice Manager (if applicable) to manage the
hospital as role models and champions of the Banfield brand to
provide consistent high quality care and exceptional service to the
most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and
profitability. Train the team on Banfield guidelines and practices
and supervise associates to ensure compliance.
- Oversee and train associates on professional, efficient and
exceptional client service (lead by example), to include client
education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health
needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related
information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Follow all Banfield protocols and practices and be responsible
for ensuring that associates achieve practice priorities while
building our culture and brand. -
- Identify potential "bottlenecks" and formulate solutions to
remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors
from providing world class care.
- Partner with the Medical Director, Field Director, and Practice
Manager (if applicable) to interview, select, train, develop,
coach, mentor and, if necessary, discipline and terminate hospital
- Direct, lead and mentor Associate Veterinarians to realize
their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high
quality medical care, client service and business results.
- Work with the Medical Director to establish development plans
(PDPs) for the Associate Veterinarians, and focus teams to deliver
the practice priorities and exceed goals while building our culture
- Effectively create and maintain veterinarians' schedules and
work with Practice Manager to schedule associates to meet client
needs according to Banfield guidelines, while proactively planning
time off and CE scheduling.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients,
field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Act as communications liaison, including holding routine
hospital team meetings, sharing business information and messaging
to all hospital associates, ensuring they remain informed, engaged
and have opportunities to provide feedback.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team by creating a
positive professional relationship with the Practice Manager,
PetSmart associates, adoption center agencies, clients, field
leadership and Central Team Support.
- Create a collaborative environment and develop an efficient,
productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and
service to the most pets and clients. -
- Develop annual planning, budgeting and hospital productivity
levels for the hospital in partnership with the Practice Manager
(if applicable), Field Director and Medical Director.
- Partner with area Field Director and Medical Director to
execute market objectives, goals, strategies and measurements
- Participate in market level teams, discussions, and
- Partner with the Practice Manager to deliver outstanding
financial results for assigned hospital.
- Responsible for the development of technical, medical skills
for veterinary assistants/technicians.
- Responsible for ensuring all associates adhere to Banfield
dress and grooming guidelines.
- Provide leadership to other area hospitals as needed throughout
- Ensure compliance with all practice policies and procedures and
with all local, state and federal laws. Other job duties as
assigned.Associate Veterinarian Responsibilities (70-80% of time):
- Establish trust and gain the confidence and compliance of
clients through effectively delivering appropriate preventive care,
performing complete diagnostic workups, developing thorough
treatment plans, communicating home care instructions, and planning
- Assimilate information gathered through effective history
taking, physical examination and diagnostic workup to arrive at an
appropriate and effective clinical decision.
- Practice evidence-based medicine and preventive care when data
or guidelines exist, using sound judgment when they do not.
- Practice veterinary medicine in a manner compliant with the
State Veterinary Practice Act, Federal and/or State Controlled
Substance laws and Banfield Code of Ethics, along with appropriate
medical record documentation; ensure the hospital team maintains
complete medical records that meet practice quality control
- Lead the veterinary hospital team through the daily schedule
and caseload, delegating tasks to paraprofessionals and improving
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service,
including prescribing and administering preventive care for the
wellness needs of pets as well as diagnosing and treating diseases
and injuries of pets.
- Advocate for preventive care and adoption of wellness
- Effectively communicate diagnosis and treatment plan to
veterinary medical team and client.
- Prescribe and administer drugs and vaccines as
- Perform surgery on pets as necessary for the treatment of pets
within Banfield's protocols, using standard medical instruments and
- Promote the safety of pets, clients and associates by ensuring
the hospital team is utilizing safe restraining techniques,
following standard practice guidelines, and maintaining clean,
sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and laboratory
- Strive to achieve performance metrics outlined by medical and
- Demonstrate integrity and ethics in all actions and
- Address and resolve client concerns arising from the medical
care of a pet.
- Develop strong lasting relationships with clients.
- Other job duties as assigned. -THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and
value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility
from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared
benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do
only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit
to remain free.---HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIESLeadership
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Building Effective TeamsFunctional
- --- -Hiring and Staffing
- --- -Communication Skills
- --- -Managing and Measuring work
- --- -Peer Relationships
- --- -Drive for ResultsCAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. - Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order. -
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic
surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. - Translates problems into
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. - Can
provide directions. Commitment to continual learning.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software.ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative - Shows willingness and aptitude to use own
discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to
problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes
or procedures. - Takes on additional responsibility when both big
and small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work
to do during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. - Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly shares relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations.---SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds,
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40
hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This
position requires special hours including working weekends and
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral,
or diagram form and to solve problems involving several
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform
duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well
as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity
with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a
keyboard and operate medical equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may
bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation,
biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Some travel required, to assist other area hospitals as well as
for vendor visits and associate education.
- Banfield policies and protocols are not intended to supersede
the associate's legal responsibilities and medical judgment. - In
the event of a conflict, applicable laws and regulations will
control.DEA: - Candidate must obtain state controlled substance and
federal DEA within 3 months of employment, unless otherwise
required by the state in which working.EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) or equivalent degree
- Veterinary license in good standing or eligibility for
licensure with the applicable state veterinary board.
- Two years clinical experience required.
- 1-3 years coaching and developing associate doctors
- Meets all required clinical competencies.WE ARE A DRUG-FREE,
SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.Banfield Pet Hospital -
strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and
promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield
Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected
veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state
and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every
Keywords: Banfield, The Pet Hospital, Hempstead , Chief of Staff, Other , Hempstead, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!